International Academy for Professional Development Ltd
in partnership with the Centre for Coaching & Centre for Stress Management
All courses are now delivered using the zoom virtual platform
Health and Wellbeing Coaching: A Cognitive-Behavioural Approach to enhance health goal achievement
Health and wellbeing coaching has become an established area of practice in the UK, Australia and USA. Health coaching has even been offered as a free service within some Primary Care Trusts in the UK. Professional bodies such as the Association for Coaching recognise health coaching as a specialism.
Motivational Interviewing is a mainstay of health-related interventions theoretically underpinned by the Transtheoretical Model of Change. Cognitive behavioural health coaching can help with behaviour change, enhance health goal achievement and also assist in relapse prevention.
Workshop participants will have the opportunity to practise health and wellbeing coaching skills and techniques in pair work or triads.Pre-workshop reading will be emailed as a PDF. The cognitive-behavioural approach will provide a framework and underpin the psychological model of health coaching
covered in this workshop. The workshop is recognised by the International Society for Coaching Psychology as providing CPD/CPE for its Members.
To become knowledgeable about health and wellbeing coaching
This skills based workshop will help participants to:
- define health and wellbeing coaching
- consider the theory, research and practice of health coaching
- become more knowledgeable about Motivational Interviewing and Transtheoretical Model of Change
- understand cognitive-behavioural and multimodal frameworks in developing an individual health coaching programme
- become knowledgeable about Health Inhibiting Thinking (HITs) and Health Enhancing Thinking (HETs)
- practise eliciting HITs and developing HETs
- gain practice in using the 5 column HETs form
- become knowledgeable about a range of cognitive, behavioural and imaginal techniques for use within health coaching including anti-craving imagery and over-consumption imagery.
- understand and tackle the cognitions that may lead to lapse (relapse)
- consider how you may integrate health coaching within your coaching or counselling practice
- reflect upon supervision requirements for health and wellbeing coaching
Trainer: Prof Stephen Palmer PhD CPsychol
Stephen is a Health Psychologist and Accredited Coach with a particular specialism in health coaching. In addition to his health-related books he has published over 8 articles on health coaching.