International Academy for Professional Development Ltd
in partnership with the Centre for Coaching & Centre for Stress Management
All courses are now delivered using the zoom virtual platform
Primary Certificate in Developing Psychological Resilience: A Coaching Perspective
This course is currently only available for in-house training or at conference events.
This intensive two-day course based workshop covers the theory and practice of developing psychological resilience. Participants will have the opportunity to practise skills and techniques in small group work. Topics include essential characteristics of a resilient personality, managing hardship, steering through daily difficulties, bouncing back from adversity, reaching out to new opportunities, developing resilience, building strengths rather than repairing weaknesses, distinguishing between Resilience Undermining Thoughts and Resilience Enhancing Thoughts. Handouts and a manual are provided. For the purposes of skills training, participants should be prepared to discuss one problem in small group work. Suitable for coaches, managers, personnel staff, trainers and counsellors. Normal rules of confidentiality apply.
To become knowledgeable about the concept of psychological resilience and how such an outlook can be developed/strengthened.
• Examine some of the characteristics and strengths associated with resilience
• Consider some of the myths of resilience
• Identify some of the ideas that undermine resilience building
• Discuss the views of various writers on resilience
• Pinpoint areas where a poor coping response prevails
• Understand the cognitive behavioural coaching approach and its application to enhancing resilience related
cognitions (Resilience Undermining Thoughts and Resilience Enhancing Thoughts), behaviours and emotion
The trainer is Dr Siobhain O’Riordan or Prof Stephen Palmer. This course is currently only available for in-house training.
PLEASE READ: GENERAL COURSE INFORMATION